- Hall 18.3 metres x 12.2 metres (60ft x 40ft)
- Bar Area 11 metres x 5.5 metres (36ft x 18ft)
Lydney Town Hall was built as a result of an idea by a group of public spirited local people who contributed to form the Lydney Town Hall Company. The land was donated by Charles Bathurst, Senior, and on 15th December 1888 the building’s foundation stone was laid by Charles Bathurst, Junior. Building was finally completed in September the following year, and the building was officially opened by Miss Mary Bathurst, the latter’s elder sister.
The Town Hall was much used by the local community, indeed the Directors of the Lydney Town Hall Company granted free use of the Town Hall as a hospital to the Red Cross Society from 28 October 1914 to 28 February 1919. During the second world war the hall was requisitioned by Gloucestershire County Council in connection with Air Raid Precautions and Home Defence.
The Parish Council was handed the Deeds of the Town Hall in 1968, and the Town Council was appointed the Sole Trustee of the Lydney Town Hall Trust in 1993, which continues to operate as a separate Charitable Trust.
The Town Hall continues to play a vital part in the town’s community and offers a large stage with dressing rooms and lighting facilities, in addition to office space. It is an ideal venue for theatrical productions, wedding receptions and private parties, as well as public exhibitions (the Beatles even played there!).
In May 2012 the day to day management of the Town Hall was taken on by a separate Management Committee, however, the Town Council retains custodial Trusteeship of the facility.
(With thanks to the Lydney Town Council for this information, see also http://www.lydneytowncouncil.co.uk/)